Power generation and demand management
To maximise the profitability of your business, and to inform your strategic and operational decisions it is crucial that the information on which you are basing your conclusions is independent, accurate, and up to date.
Through our unique combination of deep industry knowledge and practical experience, Cornwall can help you keep up to date with the latest market developments and help you understand their impact on your business.
The GB power sector is undergoing unprecedented change as the market transitions to smaller scale decentralised generation, with consequent changes to network charging, and uncertainty about the future of financial incentives to invest in low-carbon generation. Opportunities can be large, both in generation and evolving technologies such as batteries and storage, but the complex interplay between markets and policies make the investment environment uncertain.
We provide a number of services designed to provide market players with the insights needed to succeed in this market. Our outputs bring clarity to often complex areas, giving you accurate and reliable forecasts you can use to underpin your business planning and support operational decisions.
- The Green Generators Group – as a renewables generator or investor your task is more difficult than most. Not only do you have to keep track of current and upcoming policies and regulations impacting your business, you are expected to do so with limited resources. The Green Generators Group provides you with a platform to connect with other businesses in a similar situation and access to Cornwall’s experts and industry speakers. The monthly meeting provides a platform to gain information on current and upcoming changes that could bring about risks or opportunities for your business
- Long-term Roc Forecast– understanding the Roc market can be complex and time consuming. Whether you are the project owner, an investor or a supplier involved in the Roc market it is crucial that you are able to forecast values, obligations and costs. The Long-term Roc Forecast does just this, providing a reference point for future Renewables Obligation Certificate (Roc) values, and knowledge of how the costs of the RO may impact on supply businesses and energy bills out to 2027
- Monthly Within-year Roc Forecast– putting together a trading strategy for Renewables Obligation Certificates (Rocs) can be time consuming and involve significant research, even then there is no guarantee that you are finding the best deals. The Monthly Within-year Roc Forecast will aid you in business strategy and planning by providing you with information on the value of Rocs in the current year, helping you evaluate offers received and ensure you are getting the best deal for your Rocs
- Green Power Forecast– with the number of subsidy schemes and types of agreement on offer, understanding how to get the best value for your power can be complex. The Green Power Forecast provides renewables generators and suppliers with a forecast of values for renewable projects through different routes to market. With details of PPA values as well as a quarterly assessment of competition and pricing in the renewables PPA market values, the report provides clarity to those looking sign PPAs in what can be an opaque area of the market
- PPA Market Share– over recent years we have seen the development of a highly competitive and liquid Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) market. But who is most active in the market, and which offtakers are growing through offering better terms or innovative products? The PPA Market Share report will help you as an offtaker understand competition in the market, offtaker strategies, pricing terms and contract length as well as providing a forecast of what capacity is expected to come online in the future. Getting a view on these factors will help better inform business strategy in this highly competition area of the market
The GB Frequency Response Markets Report - the GB electricity system’s frequency changes on a second-by-second basis depending on the balance of electricity generation and demand on the network. National Grid has a licence obligation to contain frequency within operational limits by taking remedial action through a range of different products and services. Updated monthly, this report provides an overview of the frequency response market, relevant regulatory and policy developments, the technical and commercial elements of each competitive frequency response service, and Cornwall Insight’s latest forecast of value obtainable from non-bilateral frequency response services. It also includes a market intelligence section covering partnerships, projects and innovation trials currently active in the frequency response markets.
The Flexibility Forum – with power generation becoming increasingly distributed and variable, and consumers benefitting from new ways to monitor and manage their energy use, new business opportunities and technologies are rapidly emerging. But keeping track of the evolution can be a challenge. The Flexibility Forum allows you and your colleagues to acquire an in depth and real-time understanding of the commercial landscape impacting the flexibility and demand-side response sector and helps you identify risks and opportunities for your business
- Consultancy support– whether you are developing market-entry strategies or you need independent advice to inform your strategy or business plan, you can depend on Cornwall. Selected for our unparalleled depth of sector expertise, commercial know-how and experience, we have helped a broad range of clients tackle their toughest challenges
Training and events– our trainers aren’t just experts in their field, they bring information to life. Our courses are designed to support the development of individuals and improve their knowledge of GB energy and water markets