We are pre-eminent providers of research, analysis, consulting and training to businesses and stakeholders across the Great British, Irish and Australian energy markets, recognised by the Financial Times as a leading management consultancy for both 2019 & 2020 in the Energy, Utilities & environment Sector. You can find us in London, Norwich, Dublin & Melbourne, offering an agile way of working and putting our people at the very heart of everything we do.
The Cornwall Insight Group believes that by reducing the complexity of the energy market, we can expedite our planet’s transition to net zero and help to avert the climate crisis. To achieve this, we provide insights on the energy market from wholesale, retail, regulatory and policy perspectives to our clients, facilitating informed business decisions.
Our Data and Model analytics team support core services in providing data, analytics and designing, creating, implementing forecast models.
We are independent experts across borders and markets, trusted by clients for our unrivalled insight.
We are looking for a Modelling Analyst. You will provide a central point of modelling expertise to support any model related activity across the different streams of the group. In addition to a competitive salary, our standard benefits include:
- 25 days holiday per annum, increasing by 1 day per year up to 5 years
- Contributory pension scheme
- Death in service Benefit
- Company share scheme
- Company bonus scheme
- Private Medical Healthcare
This role is a mid-level expert role in which your main responsibilities will be to generate analytics and insights through various types of modelling techniques.
You will have ownership of and contribute to regular subscription work and models in relation to all areas of the value chain, predominantly wholesale gas and power markets in GB, Ireland and Australia.
- Contribute to our benchmark power curves by taking ownership of input and output views, calibration, and accuracy.
- Fundamental price forecasting (Oil, Gas, Carbon)
- European supply and demand fundamentals
- Support the development of forecast models for new reports, insight, and consultancy.
- Work with the modelling team and stakeholders across the business.
- Contribute to writing content and presenting material to communicate results, highlighting, and promoting insights.
- Communicate modelling concepts and design, accepting and providing challenge and validation.
- Working in partnership with internal and external stakeholders.
- Utilize existing data and models and constantly striving to improve the analytics, accuracy, and efficiency of these.
- Troubleshooting issues in models that the team are responsible for.
- Assist in establishing best modelling practices across the business, maintaining version and content controls, peer review, training others how to use models and comprehensive documentation for all supported models.
This role will be based in either Norwich or London with the flexibility of working from home if preferred.
Why Should You Apply?
- You will have a strong understanding of the power market and commodity price fundamentals. We are particularly interested in candidates that have experience modelling power systems and an interest in Global and European fundamentals and emerging and innovative technologies.
- You will have proven energy modelling experience and an understanding of techniques such as Monte Carlo analysis and optimization problem solving.
- Experience of using optimization applications such as Plexos would be desirable but not essential.
- Strong numerical ability is essential as the role will involve complex mathematics and the ability to formulate problems into mathematical processes
- You will be able to utilize a range of computational and statistical techniques to reach the desired outcome
- You will have advanced Microsoft Excel and VBA skills and are able to work with large datasets in a database structure. Experience using programming languages such as SQL and Python will also be advantageous.
- You will need strong problem-solving ability, demonstrating flexibility and creativity to determine best approach to formulate evidence-based insights and translate them into credible and clear advice.
- You are able to perform deep, thorough analysis of large complex data and have experience presenting easily digestible information to stakeholders
- You will be comfortable working both independently and collaboratively, in a fast-paced environment and be able to prioritise your work schedule and meet deadlines.
- You are an analytical thinker, methodical and inquisitive with a keen eye for details.
- Achieving goals and delivering results motivates you and you are adaptable and quick to learn.
- You have strong research / analytical skill
- Cornwall is a great place to continue your career, we are dedicated to helping you grow and develop.
- You have a keen interest in the energy industry and economics
- You will enjoy interesting and challenging projects, working with the very best talent in our industry.
- We offer a flexible and agile way of working.
- We offer great benefits and industry related pay.
To apply for this role please email email@example.com with your covering letter and CV.