This course runs across three days:
- Session 1: 24 January 10am – 12pm
- Session 2: 25 January 10am – 12pm
- Session 3: 26 January 10am – 12pm
This session, part of Cornwall Insight’s ‘Net zero transition’ training series, introduces a range of scenarios for the evolution of the GB electricity market to 2050, some of the technologies that may be required at scale to meet net zero, and considers future market design, such as Locational Marginal Pricing and the upcoming Review of Electricity Market Arrangements (REMA) .
The future electricity sector will require a huge investment in new generation capacity to meet net zero emissions targets. Many future scenarios also point to increasing complexity and interaction between demand and supply as the system becomes ‘smarter’ and consumers have more opportunities to provide services.
The present wholesale and retail market design has remained relatively unchanged over the last two decades, but is now being called in to question with growing discussions on the merits of Locational Marginal Pricing (LMP) and other aspects including the recently announced Review of Electricity Market Arrangements (REMA).
- Policy makers and regulatory specialists
- Developers, investors and generators
- Energy suppliers
- People supporting and advising those in the energy industry
Learning & Development objectives
- How the physical electricity system may evolve to enable greater electrification of the economy and meet net zero targets
- Introducing demand side and supply side technological solutions, including Carbon Capture Usage and Storage, modular nuclear generation, and negative emission technologies
- The pros and cons of current market design and an introduction to Locational Marginal Pricing
- The latest on digitalisation and data policy developments
What you can expect
- Delegates will receive soft copies of the materials presented by our market experts
- Learning delivered by Cornwall Insight’s market experts
- Pre-course materials, including an industry glossary and short primers
- Case studies and interactive tools to reinforce learning